Monday, January 21, 2008

3 Semesters Down, 5 More To Go...

Hi everybody!!
I am glad that I am not the only one who hasn't posted in a while so now I don't feel so bad. Playing catch up....

Last semester was the busiest and most rewarding semesters so far. I stage managed my first mainstage production, Our Town by Thornton Wilder. I was one of the youngest undergrads ever to stage manage a show of this size here at the university. I was basically in charge of somewhere around 50 people. With a 28 person cast, all of the crews, and the designers it became a very big endeavor. I enjoyed it thoroughly but it helped me learn how to juggle many things in my life at once: classes and homework, a job, a show, and with little time to get to see Jeremy who is always extremely supportive of everything I juggle.

Below is a picture of me in my booth with my headset on during a performance of Our Town. Jeremy took the picture when he came up to see the show.


After a wonderful run and finals I was very glad to go home to Little Rock for my month long winter break! It was great!!! Since I think David will take forever to post or never I thought I would share with everybody the picture of him and Heather all dressed up for their winter ball.

I also got to see David at a tennis tournament that he won!!!

Jeremy, his dad, and I were invited to our U.S. History teacher from high school's house for New Year's and it was a lot of fun! Jeremy's mom is still in Moldova for the Peace Corps so although she couldn't come home for the holidays we did get to talk to her with a webcam the day before Christmas Eve. Below is a picture of Jeremy and his dad at the New Year Party listening to something funny our teacher, Dr. Jim Ross, said.


But one of my favorite things over the break was getting to hang out with Jeremy without being completely stressed out like I get during school. So to get away from all of our stresses we decided to stay at a state park for a weekend together before coming back to school. At Dad's recommendation we went to the Queen Wilhelmina State Park just outside Mena, AR. It was wonderful!! And we have now decided to make it an annual vacation and go to a different state park/lodge each year. Below are pictures we took with the lodge, the sunset and the Lover's Leap Trail Sign the Saturday night we were there.


Now I am back in Fayetteville and already one week into the semester. This semester I am taking mostly theater classes except for comparative politics. I know both Grammie and Grampie are happy with my choice of classes thanks to Scenic Painting I and Metalworking. Both classes are going to be a lot of fun and we have already started painting in my scenic class. Besides those three classes I am also taking Stage Tech I: Costumes and Makeup, and Acting II. After doing so much technical work I think it will be a lot of fun to do some performance work again.

I am also looking ahead to the summer for jobs. I am applying several places such as Arkansas Governor's School, and the Texas Shakespeare Festival, but the most intriguing for me is the Arkansas Shakespeare Festival. I am up for a 7-week internship and thanks to the fact that one of my professors here in Fayetteville will be one of the directors for the festival I have a good chance of getting the internship. And if I get the internship I will get to either work with stage management or in the scene shop. The Festival is performed at Jeremy's school, the University of Central Arkansas in Conway and they will be providing housing for the interns which will be great!

My last bit of exciting news is the fact that I will most likely be moving off-campus next year!! Two of my girlfriends who happened to be named Kathryn (my roommate now) and Katherine
and I will either be moving into a three bedroom apartment or possibly renting a house from Katherine's Uncle.

I guess that is it for now but I hope all of you are doing well ! I will try to update the blog more often!!

Love you all!
Lauren

No comments: