Friday, February 09, 2007

I'm Published! Sorta...

As I finally wrap up the details of the upcoming show; wiring, photos, documentation, final touches... Joel comes home with a couple of issues of the city freebie Black & White magazine with one of my paintings on the cover! I'd heard it would happen, I just didn't know when. It's just a detail of the painting "Naranga" (means 'orange' in Sanskrit or something) and the colors are a bit off but for a newsprint rendering, but I'm pleased. A tip o'the hat to the mag as they consistently use artwork from local galleries for their weekly covers. This is the first time I've had a work selected but didn't give it much thought as there are so many artists and galleries in the area... but am delighted to have a turn.

Today I deliver my show to the local gallery, it opens on the 23rd. Then Saturday, I'm off to NOLA to spend a couple of days before joining several long time art buddies north of the lake for a three day monoprint binge.

I've been several times before but this trip will be special because it will be our last opportunity to gather at Dottie's. She plans to sell her house and studio in the woods north of Lake Ponchatrain and move to smaller, more convenient quarters in NOLA proper. It's the best thing to do, but it will be hard for her to leave this special place. It's also a chance to (hopefully) be with my longtime neighbor and friend, Patti Pilie. She's having a terrible time battling cancer and is now on trial drugs which are taking a toll. But she's determined to be there so we'll just have to have a blast!!!

So... I'm gone for a week and will return in time for house guests (Joel's out of town swim buddies here for a meet) on Friday the 16th... which is also David's birthday... XOXOXO!!! (notice my resolution to not forget or be late for b'days this year!)

No comments: