Friday, July 27, 2007

Yakin'

As many of you know, we have a new kayak. I got it cheap from a canoe club member and picked it up last week. McKenna really enjoys recreational kayaking (that's mainly flat water or slow river kayaking). It is way more fun than sitting in the middle of a canoe while Lisa and I paddle.

She got introduced to it through the state parks. In the past she and I usually shared a tandem but we figured she was ready for her own. She seems to be a natural and was stopping and turning on a dime.

We went up the Big Maumelle River (near Pinnacle State Park) last night just to break the new boat in. Lisa and I were in the canoe. We did see this guy/gal on our trip.


Looks like a Midland Water Snake to me. Not poisonous but I still wouldn't mess with it. Other than the few jumps by fish in the water not much other wildlife (unless you count all the deer, including two fawns we saw on the way in and out of the park).

It was a beautiful evening and the light was perfect for some pretty views. Lisa seemed to enjoy it.

We are looking forward to a float trip on Saturday with the Arkansas Canoe Club on the Ouachita River. This should be fun as they are supplying free lunch on the river and then we get to watch a kayak rodeo in the rapids at the end. Here's one more shot of McKenna in her kayak named Sarah (named after a friend who first let McKenna solo in her kayak a few months back). That's Pinnacle Mountain in the background.

1 comment:

Karen Jacobs said...

That's a mighty fine 'yak'! Wish we had a couple in our marina... maybe next year. You'll have to bring it with you when you head this way.